I recently delivered a Training Workshop on behalf of Gert O’Rourke for Galway Rural Development. As the session concluded, I shared my format for a One Page Marketing Plan– the 2 page pdf is free to download!
The One Page Marketing Plan is precisely that – there should be no need to go beyond one page. It contains 7 elements:
SMART goals relating to key milestones in terms of Revenue, First Customers, Product Development or Route to market etc. Key is to include numbers and dates so that you can be clear when goal to be achieved (for more see my blogpost ‘Setting Smarter Goals). For this one page plan which covers maybe 6 to 12 months, Three goals can be enough.
Reference Customers /Segments
Describe (name) ideal or strategic reference customers … it would be great if you could put a name on the market and put a value on it from your secondary market research e.g. value of Furniture market in Ireland is €600 million.
Customer Needs & Trends
These are specific to each business. For example, in restaurants over last 5 years there is greater emphasis on availability of gluten free menu items. Customer needs are not always cost driven …. Product and services solutions can offer either or both a gain in something positive or a reduction in something negative.
… only need a few bullets here or describe product in one sentence. Key is to communicate how the customer engages with or interacts with the product. [Marketing is all about benefits which are addressed in Customer Needs – this section is to clearly outline what you do and perhaps as importantly what you don’t do (yet!)] If you are operating a service this category takes as given that Staff recruitment, training and support is a priority investment. The physical appearance of your premises and all your collateral are also included. Every small business will tell you that the best marketing is Word of Mouth. Providing a brilliant service is a requirement for success.
… structure and payment terms etc. Keep it nice and simple.
Route to Market
… options are generally Online, Own Retail to include Markets, Direct Sales to Shops, or use Partners (distributors or value add resellers) – need to understand margins available to all parties.
Marketing Action & Budget
… You need to know what marketing budget is available. The first step is to find out the cost of promotion options such as classified advertising, PR, business cards, networking events to name a small few. The next step is to take a creative approach to these so that your business stands out. Marketing costs money. It can be very expensive. But it works if done properly. This means measuring the response and impact of your marketing and understanding the cost of acquiring customers. I generally find that small businesses engage in 3 to 5 marketing activities in a set period and build up their knowledge of what works over time. So you might organize signage, flyers and business cards first along with your website. When those are done you would spend time getting Social Media up and running in conjunction with the website and SEO. Then you might look at PR, Email campaigns, surveys, networking and maybe specific advertising that you know targets your customers. What you decide to do depends on the business – ask a mentor or experienced marketing people for advice!
Related: I recently reviewed a Marketing book called The 1 Page Marketing Plan by Allan Dib which includes The 1 Page Marketing Canvas.
— Donncha Hughes (@donnchadhh) November 21, 2016
- What ‘grants’ and other supports apply to my startup business? (Covid-19 update) (Nov 5, 2020)
This is a two-section blog post; the first part deals with supports arising from Covid-19; while ...
- Thanks ShowerGem – brilliant new Shower Organiser (Oct 22, 2018)
ShowerGem now Available to Buy Several years ago (2016?) I met a young Mayo student in GMIT ...
- 20 Business Building Ideas from ‘The 1-Page Marketing Plan’ by Allan Dib [Book Review & Infographic] (Aug 16, 2018)
click to enlarge The 1-Page Marketing Plan Get New Customers, Make More Money, And Stand Out ...
- Role of SEO in marketing your freelance business (Aug 10, 2016)
Have you ever wondered does SEO, inbound marketing and a blog work for a small business? How ...
- CSF Masterclass + Articles about CSF for InspiredStartups.com (Jan 22, 2016)
Click EventBrite Button above to book to attend the FREE CSF Masterclass on Thursday 1st March 2018 ...
Online Training Powered by Thinkific
INC60 PODCAST WITH DONNCHA (30 mins)
In this podcast, Donncha introduces the concepts and To Dos for people who want to develop an idea into a business in Ireland.
Produced by Inc60.com
Contact me via Whatsapp
Book a Zoom Session
Donncha on Sunday Business Show (Today FM)
Donncha interviewed by Conall O'Morain along with Olive in MediStori all about Crowdfunding.
[15 minutes] Play button may not display - just click to the left of 00.00 counter.
- Services Offered by Donncha Hughes Overview
- Assistance to Start and Grow Your Business
- Group Business & Management Training
- Graduate Entrepreneurship
- Start Your Own Business
- Business Plan Workshops
- New Frontiers Training
- Marketing Skills Workshops
- Training – Sales Planning
- Create Financial Projections full day Workshop
- One to One Advice
- Business Advisory Service – Consultancy
- Business Plan Preparation
- Feasibility & Commercialisation
- Preparing Financial Projections for Startups & SMEs
- Business Mentoring
- Independent Evaluation
- Brexit 20 Frequently Asked Questions (Enterprise Ireland)
- GMIT New Frontiers Application 2019 pdf
- InterTrade Ireland Business Cube
- One Page Marketing Plan (Editable)
- Executive Summary Sample - TLC Dog Grooming
- SCCUL Address September 2014
- Startup Q&A Business Clinic
- Infographic 1 PAGE Marketing Plan by Allan Dib
- Start a Social Enterprise Programme Specification
- Goals Setting Slides for Mayo Open Coffee
- Business Plan Preparation Worksheet
- Goal Setting Worksheet
- One Page Marketing Plan
- Editable Business Model Canvas (MS Word)
- Business Plan Write-Up Case Study
Business books can be a brilliant resource for startup founders and senior management of SMEs. The trick is to read the Good ones - here are some of my suggestions as per my shelf on GoodReads
Search Blog Articles
WordPress - 2 Day Programme